POPdramatic's 30-Day Asian Drama Challenge: Day 2

Thursday, June 09, 2016



Welcome back, we're now in day 2 of the drama challenge: Actor(s) that proved you wrong about their acting abilities. 

Now this one is something that required me to think a bit longer. The thing is, I don't really think I judge drama actors too hard without seeing them in the role first, but that's actually because I've done that before and it has made me a bit ashamed about being prejudiced before even giving them a chance to show what they got. So I try to be more careful about it nowadays.

That being said, I couldn't think of instances where I had thought that an actor was going to be atrocious and entirely being wrong about that, probably because I wouldn't watch him if I truly had that impression of someone or because that would a bit too rash of a judgement to make anyways. Mostly, I've just gone into a drama thinking "oh, he's just a rookie", "he's just an idol", "he's just a minor character", but then, unexpectedly, ending up being a fan of them. 

So, from the top off my head, here are few of the actors who showed me how mistaken I was about them: 


Jo Jung Suk. If you've followed my blog for a while, you know how much I love this guy and that I've pretty much watched everything he's been in that's available to me. But when I first saw him in the trailers for What's Up?, I remember thinking something along the lines of "Eh, just a minor character for comic relief. Don't know, don't care. He's not much of a looker anyways.". Now, I cringe at my past self for that. Though, it didn't take me long to be proven wrong because Jo Jung Suk is a known scene-stealer and you basically cannot dislike him once he's on your screen. Not only did I love him as the dorky Byung Gun in What's Up, he soon became one of the three of my all time favourite Korean actors. Not so sure about the other two, but Jo Jung Suk has certainly secured a spot in there. Besides, he's so adorable in real life, too.


Kang Ji Hwan. Way back when I first started watching dramas, I judged an actor's performance mostly based on how cute they looked (don't lie, you did that too!). Kang Ji Hwan was one of the first actors I liked having on my screen because he was so intriguing and fun to watch. In Coffee House, which was an unexpected gem in every way, Kang Ji Hwan entertained me to no end with his brilliant comedic timing and fascinated me with his portrayal of a truly complex character. While the man isn't necessarily one of my most favourite Korean actors, I do enjoy his acting. He is also one of the best on-screen kissers in K-drama.


Seo In Guk. Currently perhaps one of the most best examples of a successful transition from a singer to an actor, Seo In Guk might not reaaaaally be in the top tier of K-drama actors, but he's performed remarkably well in roles that suit his age. I first saw him in a minor role in the yawn-fest that was Love Song where his acting, while not bad, did not stand out. Thus, I had no positive expectations for him as I was going into the hit-series Answer Me 1997 and was barely interested in seeing him there. But as we all know, he pretty much rocked the role of the lovesick Yoon Jae with such heart and affection that it caught pretty much everyone off guard. I've watched him in almost every show after that.


Yoon Doo Joon. The prejudice against idol actors is something none of us can really deny having. While most idol actors tend to lack the experience and natural talent for acting and it takes a few roles for them to begin sucking less, it does happen that some of them actually do well almost right from the start. In his first leading role in Let's Eat, BEAST's Yoon Doo Joon took me by surprise and delivered a performance that was equally funny, charming and thoughtful. Confirming that this was not just a one time thing, he showed he can be incredibly swoony in the two-episode drama special Splash Splash Love. Not a bad result, coming from a idol group member I'm not even a fan of. Honestly, do us a solid and be in more dramas.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Do share your thoughts!

Copyright © 2017 POPdramatic. Powered by Blogger.