POPdramatic's 30-Day Asian Drama Challenge: Day 13

Monday, June 20, 2016



Day 13: Western series (or a movie) you think could be adapted into a drama.

I actually really like this question and I've had my answer ready from day 1. Here are the three adaptions that I would love to see:



While You Were Sleeping (1995)

Now while most of Sandra Bullock's romantic comedies could very easily be adapted to a drama series, While You Were Sleeping would be my pick. 
First of all, it's such a warm cute movie that, besides romance, also puts emphasis on family. The tropes used in the movie (mistaken identity, secret admirer, unconventional romance etc) are perfectly suited for a romcom series that's both funny yet heartfelt. You could easily improve the theme of the main character's loneliness and longing for a family, but also make the misunderstandings more complicated to raise the stakes of the secret coming out. 
And of course, the romantic angle on its own is pretty compelling. The main character starts out blindly in love with a guy she's never talked to and only admired from afar, but then ends up truly falling for his brother instead. One the one hand, she's caught in a misunderstanding that helped her to gain a family, on the other, he's unable to act on his feelings because she's the fiance of his comatose brother. It's such a great romantic conflict and I could see this play out perfectly in a K-drama series. 


Friends (1994-2004)

I know, I know. You can't adapt Friends into a drama series, without it losing the flair of the original. But that's not what I mean. My point is that I would like a drama series that's similar to Friends, in that it has a group of friends who date, work, play and we get to see them interact and, maybe also fall in love with each other. Obviously Korea doesn't have a good equivalent of the American sitcom format, so I don't even want anyone to try to adapt it directly into a K-drama, but it would be cool if someone used the original as an inspiration to make something similar that also makes sense in a South-Korean setting. I mean, it could work.


The Office (2005-2013)

Similarly to Friends, it probably wouldn't make any sense to try to adapt The Office directly into a drama series, without first really thinking about how to go about making it. But I think it's possible and after Misaeng, I would love a workplace drama that isn't so depressing. The best way to approach this would probably be to create entirely new characters that perhaps reflect the ones in the original in some way, and then build the series around those characters and the way they interact, which is basically all that The Office is about. Also, re-imagining the Jim-Pam storyline could give it the K-drama spin needed. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Do share your thoughts!

Copyright © 2017 POPdramatic. Powered by Blogger.