POPdramatic's 30-Day Asian Drama Challenge: Day 10

Friday, June 17, 2016



Day 10: Drama pairing that you didn't think would have any chemistry, but they did.

Hmm, good question. I'd say I usually reserve some judgement before claiming that a drama pairing has no chemistry at all in the drama I haven't even seen yet, but I've definitely had issues with lead castings that seem to make no sense to me. 

Mostly these have been romantic pairings that have seemed off to me because of a big age gap that I'm not sure would work or pairings that, for some or another reason, I haven't been able to imagine together visually. Sometimes I'm right about that, but occasionally I've been pretty wrong, too.


The King 2 Hearts

My worries about this lead pairing were in part due to Lee Seung Gi's very average acting abilities prior to this project, and in part because of the simple fact that I could not see Ha Ji Won and Lee Seung Gi together in my head. Looking back on it now, I'm not entirely sure why I had this idea that they wouldn't make a good on-screen couple, but it definitely seemed to me that, for the lack of a better word, the feel I got from each of them seemed to clash with what I had in mind. In the end, things worked out pretty well - Seung Gi's acting had improved a lot and the OTP had pretty solid romatic chemistry. I never loved the main couple as much as I adored the secondary romance, but I admit I was pretty mistaken about the initial casting choice.


A Witch's Romance

Going into this drama I didn't exactly expect the leading couple to be terribly matched, but the fairly big age cap of 19 years between Uhm Jung Hwa and Park Seo Joon made me pretty worried about getting onboard with the romance. It turned out, though, that the sexy chemistry between the leads was the best thing about the series and there was no reason to be worried about the OTP feeling awkward in any way. It also didn't hurt that the drama also adressed the age difference issue in a way that was believable and mature, making it a very well-made noona romance overall (well, if you don't take draggy plot into account).


You're the Best, Lee Soon Shin!

This was another show where I had concerns about the age difference between the leads. When I first found out IU was cast alongside Jo Jung Suk, I was pretty disappointed, believing that IU was neither experienced enough to carry a leading role and that she'd have little chemistry with Jo Jung Suk. Thankfully, I was proven very wrong and not only did I feel bad about judging IU's acting, I also realized that her and Jo Jung Suk were actually matched really well. Together these two were utterly adorable and seemed to feel very comfortable with each other despite the age gap. I actually really liked them.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Do share your thoughts!

Copyright © 2017 POPdramatic. Powered by Blogger.