POPdramatic's 30-Day Asian Drama Challenge: Day 1

Wednesday, June 08, 2016



So folks, we've got some serious challenge ahead of us and it's one that I've personally set up for myself. 

If some of you guys remember me doing the classic 30 Day Asian Drama Challenge some time ago on this blog, then you already know what the deal is. But since it's been a few years since I wrote those posts, I thought maybe they're a bit dated now. I'm not too big on doing these chain letter types of things, but this challenge allows me to think back on my years of drama-watching and give some thoughts on the characters, actors and dramas that have been most memorable along the way. As an added bonus, committing to frequent posts may help me to revive this blog from the dead. 

So now I present to you my own version of the challenge and while I don't expect this to catch up big time, I do hope some of my fellow bloggers are interested in joining me on this quest.

If you feel up for it, copy this on your blog and let me know, so I can read your answers :)

Without further ado, here's DAY 1: Drama plotline that made you (or nearly made you) ragequit. 

This one is easy because the most rage-inducing drama I've watched is the one I watched fairly recently and nearly quit many times. Yup, you guessed it: Answer Me 1988 with its horrible husband mystery. (SPOILERS BELOW)


Now don't get me wrong. Answer Me 1988 stays true to the tone and style of its predecessors Answer Me 1997 and Answer Me 1994 and the characters are just as endearing and storylines just as heartwarming, but the drama is nevertheless guilty of shameless manipulation of it's viewers. And it's all for that stupid "haha, I got you" moment that actually leaves noone satisfied. 

On the one side you have viewers like me, the ones who ship Duk Sun with Jung Hwan, whose painfully adorable one-sided crush is what takes up most of the series. On the other side, you have Taek shippers, who are understandably taken with his oddball personality and his conditionless affection for Duk Sun. And actually, somewhere faaar back in the corner, you have a group of disappointed Sun Woo fans, who got screwed over the earliest because he was not even a real contender to Duk Sun's heart ("haha, you fell for it") and instead got stuck with the she-devil Bora


As we all know, Duk Sun eventually ended up with Taek, despite us never really getting to see their relationship evolve from friends to lovers. Instead, the drama kept developing Jung Hwan's storyline as a cruel decoy, although his character amounted to nothing as the final plot twist rendered him into a nobody for whom fans never got a real ending or closure. Meanwhile, the desparate attempt to make up for lost development for Taek and Duk Sun romance in the last episodes felt rushed and lame, especially in the light of all the wasted time. All in all, neither side of the shippers got the satisfying love story they deserved, which made me wonder why the hell did we spend 20 nearly 2-hour long episodes on this at all?

Jung Hwan got real tired of your shit, writer.
He's taking his pretty face where it's appreciated, cya!

You Might Also Like

17 comments

  1. Yep. I loved Taek to pieces and was happy for him in the end, but Jung Hwan should have been end game. I swear he was in the beginning and then the writers changed it. That's what it felt like. With the previous two series, even if you didn't ship the main pairing, you could see how everything meant them to be together, but with R88, I didn't feel that. I love all of them and I still have Taek pangs sometimes, just remembering his adorable innocence, but grrrr to the writers for screwing over Jung Hwan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked Taek, too! I really did, but him getting the girl did seem unfair. Had he gotten half of the character development and depth that Jung Hwan did, then it would have made more sense. And it bothered me that Duk Sun treated Taek like a kid, not like a possible lover, so the whole thing seemed off. I don't blame the characters for anything, I blame the writer for dragging out the husband mystery and sacrificing natural relationship development for a stupid plot twist.

      And like you said, it DID feel like Jung Hwan was originally supposed to be endgame, but they changed it. Starting from the amount of screentime he got and ending with the fact that husband in the present time had his mannerisms and personality and had nothing about him that reminded you of Taek. It was weird.

      But most of all, I just hated that Jung Hwan's character was literally used and thrown away by the end of the series. He got no real closure, nothing and you end up sitting there, like "REALLY?" I honestly felt so manipulated with when I finished watching.

      Delete
    2. Yep. As they made Taek more likely to be the husband, they also softened future Taek. He started off brusque like Jung Hwan.

      Delete
  2. I'm challenged. I will reply it on my blog :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I will happily read your answers :)

      Delete
  3. Hi, Indigo! I'm so glad that you're back. I love your blog and love to know that we're on the same page on Duk Sun-Jung Hwan ship. I love everything about this drama except the fact that Taek is the one who end up with Duk Sun. I believe that Jung Hwan was supposed to be the husband but the writer changed it along the way to make a "suprise". Well I'm not suprise, writer-nim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!

      Yeah, indeed there were rumours that writers changed the ending after some spoilers leaked online. I'm not sure whether I fully believe it, but it does seem strange that they only developed Jung Hwan's side for the entirety of the series and then suddenly ignored his character in the last two episodes. Whatever it was, it was still a shitty thing to do.

      Delete
  4. Hi Indigo,
    We have been meaning to get in touch with you to tell you we love your updated 30 Day Challenge but somehow life got on its way...
    We can now definitely say that we are on board!
    We will be answering on our website.
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's awesome! I am definitely looking forward to reading your answers :) Also, good luck cause I know from my own experience, this can be quite a challenge to keep up with ;)

      Delete
  5. What a fabulous idea! I'm going to steal this and challenge myself to complete it as well! Thank you for putting this together! What a cool idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have a blog, but I'm a member in a kdrama reddit group. Is it ok if I use your challenge? I would mainly use it as a daily discussion post that would last a month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure you can use it! :) Hope you'll have fun with it!

      Delete
  7. First of all, I love this idea. Have to follow to see the rest of your challenge posts!

    Secondly, YES, I totally agree with you! I hate feeling manipulated by the writers! Glad I found your blog. Cheers!

    Devon
    www.devonandcornwall.wordpress.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by :) Have fun with the challenge if you decide to accept it!

      Delete
  8. I actually had to take a step back from watching the end of the series when it was airing I was so pissed! They made sense!!!! Two strong personalities... I do love Taekie though and this is my second favorite out of the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was so cheated by it. Love Taekie, but him getting the girl was such a cop out!

      Delete

Do share your thoughts!

Copyright © 2017 POPdramatic. Powered by Blogger.