Dramas I'm Looking Forward to: August 2013

Saturday, July 27, 2013

New drama season is fast approaching, and although several won't air until fall there are already quite a few August dramas that have caught my eye. I won't be talking about dramas that don't interest me, which is why I also left out Joo Won and Moon Chae Won's medical drama Good Doctor. Sorry, just not into Korean medical dramas, even tho Joo Won looks cute in the stills.
Also, did anyone else predict that ghosts was going to be the next big trend after time-travel? I don't want to brag, but I totally called it in this post when I talked about Arang and the Magistrate for the first time. Although, I guess the ghost theme didn't hit off big until this year. 

Who are You?

Broadcast network: TvN
Starts airing: July 29
What's it about? Yang Si On (So Yi Hyun) is a female detective who wakes up after a six-year coma and discovers that she is able to see ghosts, including her dead boyfriend's. With the assistance of detective Cha Gun Woo (Taecyeon), who only believes in solid evidence, she begins to help other wandering spirits around her. 
Thoughts about the cast: I'm not sure what to expect from the cast. So Yi Hyun hasn't really impressed me so far. She was rather dull and passive in Gloria and I've heard her leading roles haven't been very spectacular either. I did like her more in Alice in Cheongdamdong, but I dropped that drama quite early on. 
Taecyeon worries me a bit because his acting is very mediocre, even compared to other idol-actors. I just hope he has at least some chemistry with So Yi Hyun who I feel is more mature than him, not only in age but in presence. 
And then we have Kim Jae Wook as the dead boyfriend. He is adored by almost everybody else, except me. It's not that I don't like him, I just haven't really seen him act myself, so I am feeling rather neutral about him.
Expectations: Because the cast leaves me rather cold, I also didn't really anticipate this show at first, even though ghosts are kinda my thing. But I became much more intrigued when I saw one of the trailers that had a more serious tone than I expected. Now I am kinda hoping this drama will go for a more mature and realistic story, despite the fantasy elements. It will probably focus largely on the romance than on the ghosts, but I also don't want it to get too melo.
Trailers: There are three trailers. One is sunny and romantic, giving us a glimpse of the kiss between the main leads. Two others are more serious and dramatic. I love that scene where So Yi Hyun's character sees her dead boyfriend standing behind Taecyeon's character and reaches out to him. But Taecyeon, who doesn't see the ghost, thinks that she wants to touch him instead. Aw.





_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

The Master's Sun

Broadcast newtwork: SBS
Starts airing: August 7
What's it about? Joo Joong Won (So Ji Sub) is a conceited and greedy corporate executive who sees money as the key factor in everything, even in human relationships. He meets Tae Gong Sil (Gong Hyo Jin), a tearful and melancholic secretary, who has closed off from the world and suffers from insomnia because of her unusual ability to see ghosts.
Thoughts about the cast: Differently from Who Are You? I am loving this cast, and from the stills alone I am feeling good about this couple's chemistry.  
I haven't yet had the pleasure of seeing So Ji Sub's acting and his famous crying scenes, but I know that he's good. I just hope he's as good in comedy as he is in drama. 
Meanwhile, Gong Hyo Jin is always delightful in her roles, and she has previously worked together with the Hong sisters for The Greatest Love. I think it would be hard for her to mess this one up. 
And then we have Seo In Guk, who rocked my world last year as Yoon Jae in Answer Me 1997, playing our second lead to Gong Hyo Jin's character. I think he fits the role because I know that he has mastered that sad lovelorn puppy-eyed look. 
The female second lead is Kim Yoo Ri who is completely a blank face for me as I don't remember seeing her in anything. And I doubt that she matters much in this drama anyways.
Expectations: While I expect Who Are You? to use the fantastical elements in a more subtle and realistic way, I want The Master's Sun to be spooky and dark, but also funny. I tried being more cautious about this show - because Hong sisters really dropped the ball with their last drama Big - but it hasn't been working out too well for me as I'm already pretty excited. I love the cast, I love the posters, I love the trailers, and I love the premise - I just need Hong sisters to pull it together and not become lazy with their writing. There is a lot of potential for this show, you better not ruin it for me. 
Trailers: I love that the trailers are both fun and a bit scary. This is how I want the drama to be - a horror comedy, with both genres equally represented. And I'm loving the couple already, they look so cute together in the trailer.




_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Two Weeks

Broadcasting network: MBC
Starts airing: August 7
What's it about? The story takes place over the course of two weeks. A man (Lee Jun Ki) becomes a man on the run after he is being accused of a murder he didn't commit. At the same time, he learns that he has a young daughter who suffers from leukemia. Now he has to struggle to keep her alive, all the while he is being chased by cops and assassins. 
Thoughts about the cast: Lee Jun Ki isn't exactly my most favourite actor but I've found him quite enjoyable on screen. He tends to get a bit too dramatic at times, however with better direction I believe he can portray emotions much better. He has previously also done action (in last year's Arang and the Magistrate and Time Between Dog and Wolf), so I'm pretty sure that he can carry this role well. And I love the look he has in the stills. 
Kim So Yeon plays the prosecutor who believes our hero is guilty. So Yeon seems quite loved among other drama bloggers, however, I've only seen her in Prosecutor Princess. And I felt that her overall presence is too mature to play a shallow role like she did in that drama. So I'm hoping an action drama will be more her style, and maybe I'll see some of that IRIS badass-ness that I've heard so much about. 
On the other hand, Ryu Soo Young usually leaves me pretty cold, especially when I don't like the character he's playing. I'm not sure how I feel about him playing the cop in this drama.
Park Ha Sun plays the mother of Jun Ki's character's daughter. She is totally new to me, but she does look pretty in the stills. 
And then we have gorgeous Song Jae Rim playing the assassin who is after our hero. His role isn't big, but he's good eye-candy.
Expectations: I didn't know what to expect from this show until the awesome posters and stills and trailers came rolling in. And I'm not sure if it's a good thing that I loved the promotional material because now, in result, I am starting to have quite high expectations for this drama. I want it to be baddass and thrilling, I want it to hit me in the right spot with the sick daughter storyline, and I also want romance that is up to par. I don't want the latter to dominate the drama, but I want it to make me care. Unfortunately, in my experience, the dramas that I get excited for the most usually tend to disappoint in the end. So yeah, I'm feeling a bit nervous whether Two Weeks really is as cool as it looks.
Trailers: The trailers give a pretty good look of the drama, with all of the important plot points represented. They do seem a bit on the dramatic side perhaps, because I'm actually hoping for more action and suspense than, let's say, romance. 



You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. The Master's Sun is the only one that really has my attention, for story, cast and writing (though that one comes with a huge *hold breath and pray it doesn't suck*). I still haven't seen So Ji Sub in anything, but Gong Hyo Jin is possibly one of my top favorite actresses. Throw in Seo In Guk too, OMG. I'm in. Please be good.

    Unless I hear rave first impressions, I probably won't even bother with Who Are You..

    And I might just watch Two Weeks. Because I like Lee Jun Ki. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If Hong sisters will let me down with The Master's Sun, I promise I won't ever watch another drama from them again. But right now I'm praying to dramagods, hoping that it will be just as awesome as it looks from the trailers.

      Delete

Do share your thoughts!

Copyright © 2017 POPdramatic. Powered by Blogger.