30 Day Asian Drama Challenge: Day 11

Thursday, June 06, 2013


Day 11
NAME A DRAMA YOU LOOKED FORWARD TO BUT DISAPPOINTED YOU IN THE END

Oh, there have been quite a lot. Many of the dramas I anticipate at first disappoint me in some or another way in the end. But there have been few dramas which I remember being really excited for, but which turned out to be...underachieving.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________


Lie to Me

I remember I was really excited for this show. This was around the time I was into Kang Ji Hwan and I was so happy that he had been cast in a new drama. And I was particularly excited because he was cast alongside Yoon Eun Hye. I wasn't expecting this show to be amazing or anything, but I was hoping that it would give me good laughs, cute romance and that the plot would be more or less satisfying. Well, I guess the show didn't fail completely on the romance front since Ji Hwan and Eun Hye did have pretty good chemistry (actually, the kissing scenes were the only great thing about this show). But the rest of the show was just so cliched and cheesy. The main girl who, at first, seemed to be a smart working girl suddenly became so naive and blinded by love that at one point I simply couldn't stand her anymore. And the way that the hero couldn't decide who he really wanted was also frustrating. And then was the whole drama with the ex-girlfriend, *sigh*.
But at least this show introduced me to Sung Joon.

Cinderella's Sister

One of my biggest disappointments has been this drama. I am still wondering why did the writers decide after four episodes that it was time to turn a promising show into a non-stop crying fest with almost no plot. Why?
Okay, so I was very interested in this show because I really liked the idea of a modern-day Cinderella story turned upside down and told not from the point of view of the Cinderella, but from the point of view of her "evil" stepsister. And when I started watching this show I was actually pretty impressed because I loved our anti-heroine, I loved the acting (particularly by Moon Geun Young), I loved the characters, and I loved the story. So what happened? Well it went slowly downhill after the writers did a time-skip at the end of episode 4, cut off Moon Geun Young's long gorgeous untamed hair, forgot to develop the story, and basically gave the characters only one emotion - complete and utter despair. There was just too much crying and angst and...staring. Nobody talked about the things they should have talked about, nobody did what they should have done, and basically the story stayed in one point for the rest of the drama.
That is not to say that I completely hated this show, because I still try to remember the good points about this show. The acting was really good, I loved the complicated characterizations, and there were some really memorable scenes filled with emotion and poetic beauty. It's just that I thought the drama had so much more potential than that, it could have rocked my world if the writers hadn't screwed it up. So I only remember this show as what it could have been, but wasn't.

Big

Well, this one's self-explanatory. However, my expectations for the show were a bit different. I've said this in my review, but I was actually hoping that Hong Sisters would try something different with this show. At first it seemed to me that Hong Sisters were setting up an interesting mystery around Yoon Jae that would later be of great importance from the perspective of the storyline. So I got to hoping that maybe the romance wasn't going to revolve around the teacher and the student, but maybe they would reverse the stereotypical K-drama romance, for example in a similar manner like Coffee House did. So let's just say that I wanted the body-swap to be something more meaningful. I would have liked if it had helped to set Da Ran's relationship with Yoon Jae right and helped Kyung Joon to reunite with his brother. In my opinion, Kyung Joon needed a family more than he needed a girlfriend.  And I also wasn't to keen on the idea of teacher-student romance.
And of course the ending of the drama was just incredibly lazy writing.

Dream High 2

There isn't much to say about my disappointment towards this show that I haven't already expressed in my review. The drama just sucked. Hated most of the characters, didn't find the music to be as good as in the first season, and ultimately the plot made no sense whatsoever. This show proves why I'm always wary of sequels and second seasons.

Heartstrings

I anticipated this show a lot. I was really excited about Jung Yong Hwa starring together with Park Shin Hye. And this time actually getting the girl! I remember refreshing Viki's page just too see which parts of the show were already subbed and even tried watching episodes that weren't yet subbed. It's strange really, because I didn't immediately realize my disappointment with this show. I was really excited about this show for at least up until episode 8. But then I finally came to terms with the fact that the drama was just lacking. For me, it was the kind of drama that you keep watching while keep telling yourself that it gets better, but at one point you realize that it's not. I can't say that the show was outright terrible, I still fairly enjoyed it because it was pretty and summery and it had great music and I liked the main couple (despite the fact that Yong Hwa didn't really know how to act). But the thing is that overall the show was just very slow and boring. The very little plot that it had kept going around in circles and it got even slower near the end. So it was not nearly as good as I expected it to be.

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. Since I only recently started watching so many dramas as they air, I haven't had tooo many bad experiences with expectations. Since Big though, and K2H, and Gu, I'm starting to have this happen way more often.. siiigh.

    Btw - sorry you dropped JOJ. I admit it lost some of its momentum as far as storytelling between the main leads, but I honestly love Yoo Ah In. He does overact *some* times, but my favorite parts of this show have been during his more quieter scenes where he just sits down and plots, something that's happening more and more often. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't crazy about the idea of continuing the show while knowing it would go makjang later on.
      I noticed Yoo Ah In's overacting in some scenes during the first episodes already, and I was worried. I know he can nail the emotions most of the time, but every once in a while we see that ugly dramatic face he had in Fashion King, and it freaks me out a bit. I miss the way he was in Sungkyunkwan Scandal, actually.

      So yeah, I'm just gonna let this one go and concentrate on the new shows haven't yet had the time for.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you said what I didn't dare to say about Heartstrings. I recently watched it due to many positive reviews, but I didn't like it. At all. I had high expectations, and I was waiting from one episode to another for something interesting to happen, but it didn't. And I really don't know why does Park Shin Hye get such childish roles. She and Yong Hwa were supposed to play university students, but I felt like watching some teens in high school. Not to mention Minhyuk (although I liked his silliness) and Im Se Mi (Bo Woon). So I completely agree with you, it was boring and slow paced. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about Park Shin Hye. She should stop playing high schoolers who are being pushed around by their boyfriends. I love the actress but her choice of acting projects is disappointing. Her most interesting role so far has been in Flower Boy Next Door and she should trying to take on more grown-up roles. She's got the talent, but she needs to go in the right direction.

      Delete

Do share your thoughts!

Copyright © 2017 POPdramatic. Powered by Blogger.