2ne1 - I Love You

Thursday, July 19, 2012


2ne1 is one of those groups that have left an unforgettable impression on me with their strong image rather than with their music. Not to say that their music is bad, no, no. I do listen to 2ne1 on a regular basis, but electronic dance style isn't generally my kind of music. So, while I think of 2ne1 as one of the most awesome K-pop groups, their songs tend to switch between hit and miss for me. For example, while I liked "Fire" I never really got into "I Am The Best".
But now that the fiercest K-pop girl group is back with the song "I Love You", which combines powerful ballad vocals and an addicting dance beat, I have to admit that this time the title track is a definite hit for me.

The song starts with the thought: "When you feel like there's no way out, love is the only way" (seems very deep, but I'm not entirely sure what they mean by that). The beginning of the song seems like a ballad, but when the beat kicks in the track quickly takes a turn for dance music, though it still remains emotional til the very end. 


The lyrics for "I Love You" are...well, obviously about love. The girls sing about the frustrations of not knowing the feelings of the person you're in love with: 

All day, I keep thinking about you
All day, I just stare at my phone that’s not ringing
Why don’t you know my heart being like this yet?
I still don’t know your heart either

At thoughts of you, I can’t go to sleep at night
I think of you with the moonlight and I confess my heart
Why don’t you know my heart being like this yet?
I still don’t know your heart either
[---]
Don’t play the cat-and-mouse game with me
Let’s become a bit more honest
I said oooh, don’t make me jealous
Oooh, don’t make be become obsessed

I’m curious where you are and what you’re doing
Are you annoyed by me being like this?
I said oooh, don’t make me jealous
Oooh, don’t make be become obsessed

(Read the full lyrics here: KpopLyrics)



The music video has no clear story, besides showing the girls hanging out in a train, driving around in a car, on the streets, in a lighthouse(?) and in a telephone booth, while looking very frustrated about their love lives. But actually the setting for the video is really beautiful and kind of mystical. The girls are dressed fantastic fashion and styled in a manner that's distinct to 2ne1's image. CL and Minzy look really pretty in particular. I also love Dara's new hairstyle(s). There isn't much choreography to the song, just posing to the beat of the track. But the video is definitely worth checking out.

And here's a live performance at SBS's Inkigayo

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Do share your thoughts!

Copyright © 2017 POPdramatic. Powered by Blogger.